Thursday, July 31, 2008

What If You Held An Election - And No One Cared?

I'm still working on my own breakdown of Tuesday's Primary Election and will have it posted soon. Until then, consider that less than 18% of the registered voters actually came out and voted in that race according to news stories. What's worse, with only 352,000 people voting, it means less than 10% of the state's actual population voted.

There are lots of theories going around as to why. My own? Very few exciting races were on the ballot. People can say that local races drive turnout, and that is true to some extent, but it is the high-visibility campaigns that get people fired up. There were really none of those on the ballot, especially on the Democratic side, leaving lots of people less than interested.

Is that a good reason not to vote? Of course not. But it is where we stand with most Oklahomans too apathetic to show up. I guess some of them might be offended that I called them that, but my guess is they just won't care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CM,

My blog as has moved to http://saxumpr.blogspot.com

in conjunction with the roll-out of our new website saxumpr.com. Thanks for your comments and blogging.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please subscribe.
Thanks,
Renzi Stone